Maid with the Nut Brown Hair

Started by Griffin St. James at 17 Feb, 2020 5:56 PM
3rd Moon 24, 2020
27 Posts

Iryss of Siege Perilous

Morrighan Dragons Bassilith 3,somthing something Winters 13.3 ft. 32 ft. Topaz Eyes

• Use the wings of the flying Universe,
  • Dream with open eyes;
  • See in darkness
  • Dejan Stojanovic

Doing as asked, Iryss dipped into a low dive, dropping down not only below the clouds, but where the air was a little warmer for their passenger.  Even from this far out, the distant mountains were beautiful, and she could feel the draw.  Had they not had a passenger she would have put on full speed.

Where will we go when we get there? she asked Griffin, Do you want to give her a tour before we settle?  It could be hard to find your way around on the ground, so if they could orient Hannah from the air, it might give her a better chance to orient herself.

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Hannah Davis

Investigator Traveler Bassilith 24 Winters 5' 5 Blue Eyes Brown Hair

Hannah caught her breath when they dropped below the clouds.  Not due to any physical reaction, but the sheer majesty of the wilderness and mountains beyond.  It was beautiful, and she couldn't help the "Ooo" that she said in response to it.  Her eyes scanned the mountains for what she expected might be the Siege; most likely directly in front of them, though she didn't expect to see anything until they were much closer.

It was noticeably warmer in the lower levels, and she loosened her grip on her cloak.  The moving air still made it feel cooler than it would otherwise, but she wasn't freezing like before.  It isn't long now, she thought to herself.

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Griffin St. James

Morrighan Traveler Bassilith 45 Winters 6' 2 Green Eyes Reddish-Brown Hair

I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul ~ The Invictus by William Ernest Henley.

"Take us to Siege Perilous," Griffin told Iryss.

Soon, the range of mountains that held the siege, high above the almost perfect circular form of the Burning Sea. The towers of Bassilith's mightiest fortress stretched in every direction, almost as far as the eyes could see. The towers and stone ramparts blended with the mountains so well that the spires were easily mistaken for the towering peaks. Some were even lightly snow-capped and shrouded in clouds. Others showed the ravages of the volcanic mountains they lay against. Lava had formed over the massive stone ramparts blending them into the mountains. The dragons' aeries were well-disguised amongst the citadel's rock walls and towers. Here and there, you could glimpse a wide ledge with a dark opening behind it and a dragon dozing in the sun. Waterfalls burst from beneath some of the sections, powered by mighty subterranean rivers, and towering trees added another layer of natural camouflage. Dragons by the dozens, some alone, some with their riders, came and went. Others circled lazily over the inland sea, watching for their chance of catching a juvenile kraken, one of their favorite treats.

When Griffin first saw Siege Perilous nearly ten years before, he had been equally awed and intimidated. He feared that he would become lost amongst the citadel's many mountain passages and tunnels, trapped forever in the darkness. Nothing could have been further from the truth. Interior chambers, tunnels, and passages were well-lit with hundreds of moonglobes of all sizes. The rooms and chambers were light, dry, and airy. Great windows had been carved into the stone wherever feasible.

Griffin pointed past Hannah's head toward the siege, "That's where Iryss and I live, where the Morrighan is billeted. After you've had a chance to rest and clean-up, I'll show you the map room so you can orient yourself a bit more."

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Iryss of Siege Perilous

Morrighan Dragons Bassilith 3,somthing something Winters 13.3 ft. 32 ft. Topaz Eyes

• Dream with open eyes;
  • See in darkness
  • Dejan Stojanovic

Once over the city, Iryss took a few lazy circles, letting Hannah get a good look at the splendor before descending in a low dive and finally settling on an open pad near the city center.  She always loved coming home, even though she liked traveling and seeing other places, but this was her home, the place that made her heart sing.

Alighting gently on the pad, she folded in her wings then crouched down so it would be easier for her riders to slip to the ground.

I like her, Griffinstjames, take good care of her.

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Hannah Davis

Investigator Traveler Bassilith 24 Winters 5' 5 Blue Eyes Brown Hair

Hannah took in the sight of the Siege from the air.  It was truly impressive.  She recognized the impromptu tour as being for her own benefit, displaying the grandeur of the place.  Griffin and Iryss were clearly fond of the fortress, and she could see why.  From an outsider's perspective, it was beautiful, nestled in the mountains as it was.

the dragon alit, and she was eager to step back on solid ground again.  Not that the ride was unpleasant, far from it.  She just liked the security of it.  She disentangled herself from the straps that held her, and carefully dismounted the creature.  "Thanks," she said to Griffin, retrieving her pack.  "I'd like to get settled, for however long that happens to be."

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Griffin St. James

Morrighan Traveler Bassilith 45 Winters 6' 2 Green Eyes Reddish-Brown Hair

I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul ~ The Invictus by William Ernest Henley.

Like Iryss, Griffin never tired of the aerial view of Siege Perilous. He followed Hannah in alighting from Iryss's back. Then turned and quickly undid the straps and buckles of the riding harness. Pulling it free, he draped it over his shoulder. He would need to clean and oil it before riding again.

"Iryss says that she likes you, Hannah and that I should take good care of you," Griffin said with a grin. Then for the benefit of both the dragon and the young woman, "I will help Hannah out any way that I can, but she can probably take care of herself."

"Thanks," she said to Griffin, retrieving her pack.  "I'd like to get settled, for however long that happens to be."

"After you've had a day or two to rest up, I can show you around Port Duskhallow and introduce you to the Danu at Annwyn Court," Griffin said to Hannah. He lay a hand on Iryss's shoulder and added in dragonspeech, "Thank ye, lass." Although the words were simple, the emotions that were transmitted mentally with them were full of affection for the mighty dragon.

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Iryss of Siege Perilous

• Dream with open eyes;
  • See in darkness
  • Dejan Stojanovic

Of course. Iryss dipped her head in salute, then stood.  I'll be home, unless you need something? She could linger here for a time, she had no pressing matters, but she also had no way to help with the newcomer, now that they were here.  And if he needed her, he could easily summon her.

Spreading her wings, she launched into the sky, showing off a bit, maybe, for Hannah's enjoyment, knowing the down-draft would at least ruffle some hairs!

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0