Maid with the Nut Brown Hair

Started by Griffin St. James at 17 Feb, 2020 5:56 PM
3rd Moon 24, 2020
27 Posts

Hannah Davis

Investigator Traveler Bassilith 24 Winters 5' 5 Blue Eyes Brown Hair

Hannah looked between Griffin and the dragon with a raised eyebrow.  She didn't hear anything, and she wondered how Griffin knew what it had "said".

"Right.  Er," she looked at the inviting dragon and took a deep breath before reaching out.  She pressed her palm gently against a scale that was larger than her hand.  It was... warm, and slightly yielding, yet also solid and strong.  It was unlike anything she had felt before, and she struggled to describe it adequately.  Her face betrayed the wonder and curiosity she didn't express verbally.

"Yes, well.  Thank you," she said to the dragon as she pulled her hand back, abruptly snapping into a more reserved and disciplined mien.

To Griffin she said, "So, we fly then?  How... I mean, I imagine it is safe, but..."  She didn't see how she would be secure on the back of a living creature.

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Iryss of Siege Perilous

Morrighan Dragons Bassilith 3,somthing something Winters 13.3 ft. 32 ft. Topaz Eyes

• Use the wings of the flying Universe,
  • Dream with open eyes;
  • See in darkness
  • Dejan Stojanovic

Astute...

If dragons could smile, Iryss did just then as she slowly raised her head, then stood, although she kept her shoulder low as she bent her front knee.  Griffin was adept at mounting her, but the girl would need a bit of a boost, and Iryss really didn't want her scrambling around trying to get on.  Besides being annoying, it could hurt if a foot scraped the wrong place.

I'll be nice, she told Griffin, just let me know how fast you want to go.  She could be languid, or speed, could stay low to the ground or soar up to the clouds.  So long as the girl stayed sane, she might do all!

0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0

Griffin St. James

Morrighan Traveler Bassilith 45 Winters 6' 2 Green Eyes Reddish-Brown Hair

I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul ~ The Invictus by William Ernest Henley.

To Griffin she said, "So, we fly then?  How... I mean, I imagine it is safe, but..."  She didn't see how she would be secure on the back of a living creature.

Griffin gave Iryss another firm pat on her gleaming scales. Once she was standing and in position for them to mount, he pointed out the leather and wyvern hide riding harness that included a saddle-like area for the rider. Knowing that he might be bringing back a guest, Griffin had gotten one of the training rigs that allowed for two people to be secured.

"I'll help you up and you will take the front position. Then, I'll take the rear position and we'll be off. Iryss will take care of us," Griffin told Hannah. To Iryss, he grinned and said, "No hijinks until we're sure Hannah is comfortable aboard you, Iryss. No need to rush back to the siege. We'll get there quick enough as it is."

With that, he guided Hannah around and helped her climb up to the saddle. Once she was up, he told her how to fasten the straps across her legs and situate her feet in the loop-type stirrups. "Now, lean slightly back against me. The roughest part for us is when Iryss launches."

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Hannah Davis

Hannah followed Griffin's instructions, dropping her pack before clambering up the dragon to the saddle.  She was probably doing it wrong, putting her feet in incorrect places, or awkwardly shifting her weight... but she focused more on the harness and her destination.  Finally pulling herself to position and finding the foot loops, she was suddenly reminded of a brief summer in her adolescence when she took horse riding lessons.  It was a week of beginner lessons, basically how to sit properly and guide the animal.  The high perch in a riding harness felt similar in scale between a nine-year-old Hannah on a horse and her on a dragon now.

"Right," she said as she situated herself, "I think I'm in the right place?"

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Griffin St. James

I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul ~ The Invictus by William Ernest Henley.

"That you are, lass," Griffin answered Hannah with an encouraging smile. He grabbed her pack and, balancing carefully on Iryss's upraised leg, he fastened it behind the saddle's low cantle, making sure to secure it well. It was so light that it would not affect the mighty dragon's flight balance, but Griffin did not want to risk losing Hannah's belongings in case of...hijinks.

He gave Iryss a gentle caress along her great shoulder before vaulting lightly onto the rear or, what was usually known as, the second saddle. Griffin settled quickly and leaned forward, putting his arms carefully around Hannah's waist to steady her for the upcoming launch.

"Dragons are more suited to launching from high places. It's one of the reasons they prefer mountain caverns for their aeries. They can also take to the sky from a standing position or a gallop. They have extremely powerful tendons in their rear legs that they tighten...almost like tightening a coiled spring. When they release the tension it propels them high enough into the air that they can do several shallow wingbeats to gain altitude."

"Lastly, ye should know that dragons can teleport as long as they know the coordinates of where they are going. For that, they need their riders. We can fix the coordinates from special maps into our minds, the dragons ken it from there and off we go. Iryss loves flying so much though, we'll take it slow and easy this trip."

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Iryss of Siege Perilous

Morrighan Dragons Bassilith 3,somthing something Winters 13.3 ft. 32 ft. Topaz Eyes

• Dream with open eyes;
  • See in darkness
  • Dejan Stojanovic

Iryss waited patiently as the young woman got settled, appreciating that she was trying to be careful.  Once her passengers were settled, Iryss stood slowly, drawing in a large breath and shuddering a little, just to get her new passenger accustomed to the unfamiliar movement.

Easy, Griffinstjames?  If I must!

Of course, she liked the girl so far and had no cause to frighten her, this was going to be unsettling enough as it was.  Opting for just launching and getting it over with, she crouched down, then leapt up as easily as she could, but it still had to be a mighty jump so she could get high enough to extend her wings without them touching the ground.  After a few flaps of her wings she was high enough that she could soar a little while keeping her altitude as low as she could to let Hannah get used to the feeling before she headed to the clouds.

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Hannah Davis

Hannah steeled herself for the launch, but she couldn't help but let out a soft meep in alarm when the dragon did lift off.  Though she never had a chance to experience it, she likened it to a jet fighter.  The immediate acceleration into the sky that made her feel twice as heavy as normal.  Soon, though, the feeling subsided and the main sensations were the wind in her face and the gentle flexing of the dragon's muscles.

"That's something else," she attempted to say, but the air whipped her voice away, and her hair plastered against her face.  She wiped her hair back and managed to say "muoah-ful-elm" into the wind.

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Iryss of Siege Perilous

• Dream with open eyes;
  • See in darkness
  • Dejan Stojanovic

So far so good...the lady seemed to be taking everything in stride, so Iryss started to slowly circle higher and higher until they reached a level of fluffy white clouds, something she was pretty sure that Hannah hadn't experienced before.  For Iryss, soaring in the clouds was actually a bit annoying, damp and cool, difficult to see through, although it could be quite a relief on a hot day!

After a short time, the lazy circles became more energetic, and with each mighty flap of her wings the speed increased and her neck stretched out further.  She loved this, just flying for the joy of it, and if it pleased her rider and the girl, all the better.

0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0

Hannah Davis

Hannah was beginning to acclimate to flying, though she would never fully get used to the sensation.  She felt as secure as she really could be, nestled between the wings of a dragon.  She discovered that a simple turn of the head allowed her to speak to Griffin without the wind completely overwhelming her voice.  The air was decidedly colder up in the clouds, and she drew her new cloak tighter around her.  Though it only somewhat mitigated her shivering.  What she would give for a thick parka right about now.

It was interesting, and she spent a lot of the time thinking about the mechanics of the flight, and how everything fit together between dragon and rider.  It helped push away the anxiety of being hundreds of meters in the sky with just a dragon's whim keeping her from tumbling to her death. 

All in all, however, she considered it a positive experience.  She wasn't about to become a professional rider like Griffin, but she would be willing to do it again.

Hannah turned her head to say "Are we there yet?" to Griffin.  She had no sense of scale of this new place, and had no idea what she was supposed to be looking for; if anything.  The query was half in jest, half serious.

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Griffin St. James

Griffin took Hannah's comment in the manner in which it was intended. It was the chant of children on long trips all over the world - or even worlds. He had heard the same from children being transported from one side of Bassilith to the other. He grinned at her and pointed toward the distant horizon. 

The downside of dragonriding with a non-Morrighan passenger was communications. If both passengers were Morrighan, the dragon could act as a communications conduit, allowing for mindspeech between all three. Even if the second rider was only a Candidate that could hear the dragonspeech, he would have been able to communicate with them. Before he could address the issue of talking with Hannah, he noted her shivering.

Maneuvering carefully, Griffin removed his riding cloak and wrapped it around the woman. He then said to Iryss, both aloud and via mindspeech, "Take us below the clouds, if ye could, lass so that Hannah here can see the landscape."

Leaning forward so that Hannah could hear him clearly, he turned his head slightly so the wind would not snatch his words away, "I've asked Iryss to take us out of the clouds. You should see some high mountains if you look toward the horizon. That is where we are headed."

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0